The Soil & Health Association is the largest membership organisation supporting organic food and farming in New Zealand and one of the oldest organic organisations in the world, established in 1941.
We are committed to advocating our maxim “Healthy Soil – Healthy Food – Healthy People” and to creating an organic New Zealand.
What The Soil & Health Association does:
- Publishes Organic NZ – New Zealand’s leading organics magazine
- Supports the development of research into organics
- Promotes organic production methods
- Works to curb pesticide use, provide information and education on the effect of pesticides on health and the environment
- Supports local and national initiatives to halt chemical trespass
Works to keep NZ farming, our food supply and the environment free of genetic engineering, pesticides and additives
- Provides information to key stakeholders including growers and consumers on how to grow, buy and eat fresh, safe organic food and issues recontamination in the food chain
- Works on behalf of its members to lobby local and central Government – influencing future policy
- Operates the Project Gro fund to assist school, maraes and community gardens with financial support to establish or redevelop organic gardens or provide mentoring support
The Association is totally reliant on public support for its advocacy role.
We receive no government or other official support, nor is it sponsored or supported by any commercial organisation, political party, religion or other vested interest.
The Association believes that when New Zealand finally honours its “clean green” reputation and adopts organic principles at every level of agriculture, a dramatic improvement in the nation’s health will follow and the truth of its operating maxim “Healthy Soil – Healthy Food – Healthy People” will finally triumph.
Become a member to support the work of the Soil & Health Association
Organic NZ gives you access to current information on organic growing, eating, shopping, businesses – plus health issues, publications, national & international news and events. Being a member means you are investing in a healthy future for New Zealand.
The Soil & Health Association has a strong supporter and membership base. We have a volunteer governance body, a national office with permanent staff members, contract staff including a spokesperson and magazine editor, and branches that are run by volunteers.
The Association’s governance body is called the National Council (NC). It consists of seven members who are appointed by the membership. NC members are elected for a two-year term.
See the current National Council
The staff at the National Office run the management and day-to-day operation of the Association.
Contact the National Office
Contract staff include the Spokesperson, Organic NZ Magazine Editor, Magazine Designers and Advertising Manager
Members and Supporters
Members and supporters have made it possible to have an Association since 1941!
By joining the Association, purchasing our magazine and making donations, members of the public provide funding for the Association to carry out work to create an organic nation.
Members and supporters also play a vital role in education and advocacy; educating both themselves and others and taking action to support the Association’s campaigns.